Thursday, August 23, 2007

Dublin Day 2

I'm tired. Why? Not because I stayed out all night, but rather because I was forced to stay out all night by my bunkmate who seems to bring his chainsaw to bed with him at nights. He seriously snores loud enough to shake the bed frames. Beyond that, it's pretty warm in the room, and if we were to open the window we would have to listen to the sounds of the extremely-lively Temple Bar district downstairs. So I did stay out later than planned, but at least I made some new friends.

I'm also tired because I woke up for the complimentary "breakfast" they serve at the hostel. When they say breakfast, that actually means there will be a couple loaves of bread and a toast machine. I was slightly disappointed after what I've become used to in London, but I do really like toast, so it's not total hardship.

Today I went to the Dublin writer's museum, which was pretty overrated. There wasn't that much to see. At the same time, I got a ticket to go see a one-man production by an Irish actor of various elements of Irish literature. Luckily, the crowning piece of the show was a one person dialogue taken from The Importance of Being Earnest, which I read yesterday, so I could fully appreciate it. I was the only audience member under 60. It was a nice break in the middle of the day. After that I went to the James Joyce cultural experience, which was much cooler. If you are even remotely a fan of Joyce, or even if you aren't, you will leave in love with the man.

I also wrote a lot today, so hopefully I can put all of my words together and make a coherent piece of fiction when I get back. I'm also reading a lot on this trip. I've read David Mitchell's Ghostwritten, Haruki Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase, The Importance of Being Earnest, I'm reading Joyce's Dubliners and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Wilde's Dorian Gray, and might pick up some other stuff around as well. Plus, um, Shakespeare too...

2 comments:

EC said...

I fancy Oscar Wilde. You should visit his grave when you get to Paris.

SCB said...

I've only just started reading Wilde, so I don't know if I like him enough to take time to do that. Plus, graves are creepy...