Friday, August 10, 2007

All Shakespeare was not created the same. Today we saw Macbeth, arguably the best Shakespeare play to read and definitely my favorite. That said, watching it was the worst experience I've had in a theatre since I had to perform Demetrius of A Midsummer Night's Dream with a totally bald head (thanks again dad). I could not believe how bad this play could be, especially after some really crappy Shakespeare plays had been previously turned into good productions in Stratford. The actors forgot lines, the play was dreadfully miscast, and the costumes were ridiculous, among other fatal flaws. Sad, sad, sad.

I've gotten the hang of London a little better though. I realized from where we are, I can walk almost anywhere worth seeing in less than an hour. Today I made it to Regent's Park, where the play was held, in about a half hour (check the map to see how far apart Holborn and Regent's Park are and you will see just about everything else is the same distance). Lot's of weird people here, and the streets have the air of the Sunset Strip a lot of the time, but still a pretty cool place.

Now a word about the hotel, and then I have to go before my friends shoot me for being late. The Stratford Holiday Inn now feels like we were staying in Buckingham Palace compared to the Holborn Citadine. Apparently the French do not think things like shower curtains are necessary, as there is none nor anywhere available to hang one from. That's my main complaint about the place, but everything is smaller, smellier, cheaper, less accommodating, and just generally not as nice as we had it. Ah, if we had only known. On the plus side, we now have a laundrette and free internet, but I'd still rather be bouncing and chillin' at the Holiday Inn.

Well, I should go now, we have a midterm tomorrow. Cheers!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

see comment at the end of your first blog....I'm new at this and not very good at it.
Love you!
Mom