Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Itinerary

Tomorrow is my last full day in America for a while. I finally have all of my travel plans ready to go to Europe, so now all I need to do is pack and figure out some last minute details. Here is my travel itinerary:

July 25th: Leave LA and fly to London. I get into London on the 26th in the morning, where I will hang out with my old friend Luke for the day, as well as staying at his building for the night.

July 27th: I head up to Stratford-upon-Avon to begin my Shakespeare class, along with famous actor James Franco. We are staying there in a Holiday Inn in the small town and will spend two weeks there studying, going to plays, taking in the sights, and enjoying the English countryside. From then we head back to London.

August 8th: Starts our time in London where we finish our Shakespeare studies. All in all, in Stratford and London, we will attend 8 Shakespeare plays and hear lectures from actors in the fancy Shakespeare troops. In past years these have included big names like Patrick Stewart.

August 22nd: The program is over and now it's time for some independent travel. I start by flying to Dublin, Ireland, where I'll stay for three days. I plan to do the Guinness brewery tour, walk the Bloom's day route (from the book Ulysses), and enjoy the pub life (my hostel is walking distance from the famous Temple Bar). I'm sure there is a lot more to do in this city, and I intend to find out what it is while I'm there.

August 25th: Now to the other coast of Ireland to Galway, where I will spend three days. Unlike Dublin, Galway has a lot of things close to it that are worth a day trip, even things close enough to bike to. During this time I'll kiss the Blarney stone and stand at the Cliffs of Moher.

August 28th: Back to Dublin now to fly to Edinburgh, Scotland. I will stay there for three days before heading to Glasgow, Scotland for a night. I haven't made plans for here yet, but I think Edinburgh's big yearly festival will still be going on, so I'm sure I'll check that out. Yes, I plan to eat haggis.

September 1st: It turns out it is cheaper to travel from Glasgow to Stockholm than it is to travel the much shorter route of Edinburgh to Copenhagen, so that is what I'm going to do. I will stay in Stockholm, Sweden for just one night, but in a hotel rather than a hostel. Despite being one night, this will be one of the most expensive stops for me, just because of the hotel.

September 2nd: Get on a train, plane, or boat and go to Copenhagen, Denmark. I'm staying here for three days, and the only plan I have right now is a cycling tour of the city. My friend Shannon stayed here for a whole quarter, so I will talk to her to gets lots of ideas of things to do. No way I can fit everything in though.

September 5th: Fly back to London, though again it's cheaper to go from Sweden, from a town just across the water called Malmö. I'm not staying in London long, as I board a train that same day to get to Paris. I stay in Paris for four days and will probably make some day trips during that time. The site I was using to book hostels in France did not have any openings in any other city except Paris, so I suppose I have no choice about making that my home base. There's a lot to do here though.

September 9th: Back to London for the night and then the next day will hop on a flight back to America!

September 10, 7:30pm: Land at LAX and be back at home sweet home. I haven't left and I already miss it.

Please write me emails at scbrengle@gmail.com if you want a postcard or have something fun to say. Even if it's not something fun, don't stay a stranger. Unfortunately, without a computer or a phone, this will be the only way to communicate with me (using internet cafes).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey you... Loved the blog. Am amazed that a Shakespeare play in London could be bad. What has this world come to?
As for the hotel, I guess you should be happy that the room at least HAS a shower, given that it's a French establishment.
Miss you
Eat your porridge.
Mom